The Least Interesting Thing About Me

"All bodies are beautiful."

Those were the words of a sixth-grade student after another student made a comment criticizing her own body.

That simple statement has stayed with me ever since.

For most of my life, I was labeled as "chubby" or "fat." I wasn't the girl people described as beautiful. At best, I felt average. At worst, I felt invisible.

Growing up, I struggled to see the good things about myself. No one pointed out that I was intelligent, kind, compassionate, hardworking, or brave in the ways that truly matter. Instead, I often heard that I was lazy or that I needed to try harder.

After a while, I stopped trying altogether.

Last night, someone commented on one of my social media posts. They mentioned that too much sugar in coffee is unhealthy and shared that they had lost 30 pounds by giving up soda.

Then they added, "Instead of drinking coffee, maybe go on a hike."

The irony is that I use sugar-free sweeteners in my coffee. I also hike regularly. I love hiking. I love walking. I've been intentionally making healthier choices and moving my body more so I can experience life more fully.

But this person didn't know any of that.

They saw my body and made assumptions.

Years ago, a comment like that would have devastated me. It would have reinforced every insecurity I carried and every negative belief I had about myself.

Now, it doesn't.

Not because I'm perfect. Not because I've suddenly become immune to criticism. But because I've grown enough to understand that strangers don't know my story. They don't know my journey, my struggles, my victories, or the work I've put into becoming healthier.

Still, the interaction got me thinking.

The truth is that our bodies are often the first thing people notice about us. Because of that, people will sometimes make assumptions. That's human nature.

But I've been working hard to prove that my body is the least interesting thing about me.

In fact, I was recently telling my friend Katie that I've started embracing my curves. Not because I've given up on my health goals, but because I've stopped putting my life on hold until I reach them.

Weight loss is a slow process for many people, and it certainly has been for me. Since starting this journey, I've lost 25 pounds. I haven't talked about it much because, honestly, my body is still the least interesting thing about me.

The interesting things about me are that I have several cats and dogs that I adore. I'm a middle school teacher. I love volunteering and serving others. I care deeply about the people in my life and the work I do. I'm passionate, compassionate, and constantly striving to grow.

I'm on a journey toward better health—physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually—and I'm proud of the progress I've made.

I have a podcast. I write this blog. I've built a community of more than 3,000 people on TikTok by showing up as my authentic self.

Those things tell you far more about who I am than a number on a scale ever could.

And before anyone asks, yes, being childfree after infertility is part of my story.

But that's only one chapter.

There is so much more to me than that.

So much more to all of us.

If you're struggling with body image today, please know that you are not alone.

Your body is not your worth.

Your body is not your personality.

Your body is not the sum of your dreams, your talents, your kindness, your resilience, or your impact on the world.

The things that make you beautiful cannot be measured by a scale or captured in a photograph.

They are found in the way you love people, the way you show up for others, the way you persevere through hardship, and the way you continue becoming who you were meant to be.

Your body is only one part of your story.

Don't let it overshadow the rest.

Keep shining, my dear friends.

Comments

  1. Reading your blog was like reading a download from my mind everything you mentioned was so spot on we especially as women are subjected to judgment before anyone gets to know the real us ! We are more than the skin we live in, it’s so refreshing to hear another women speak on this topic, I also love hiking it’s the only place for me personally that feels like home I can hike for miles and miles but no one would assume that because of what my body looks like, I have always been defined by my body to skinny to fat, not trying hard enough, lazy , eating unhealthy when all of that is furthest from the truth , I love moving my body I eat extremely clean because I suffer with health issues, I have fibromyalgia and everyday I’m in some kind of pain or just not comfortable in my own body on a daily, I am a hard worker, I’m funny , my love for animals outweighs my love for humans lol and I’m always in a positive mood no matter the struggles I face I keep pushing because one day I’ll find at least one person to value me for my entire being rather than assumptions based off appearance and it kills to not have a support system sometimes because my biggest bully’s have been will always be my family and partner and all my heart aches for is acceptance to be seen to be heard to be loved. with that being said friend I SEE YOU FOR YOU AND YOU HELP ME FEEL SEEN I APPRECIATE, YOU šŸ„¹šŸ¤ sending you all the love and positivity and blessings šŸ™šŸ¼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. Reading your words brought tears to my eyes because so much of what you described resonates deeply. It’s heartbreaking how often people make assumptions based on appearance and never take the time to know the incredible person underneath.

      I see your strength in the way you keep showing up despite chronic pain, judgment, and a lack of support from the people who should be lifting you up. The fact that you continue to move your body, care for your health, love animals fiercely, and choose positivity in the face of so much adversity says so much about who you are.

      I especially connected with what you said about hiking. There is something so healing about being out on a trail where the world stops measuring us and simply allows us to exist. Those moments remind us that we are so much more than what others see when they look at us.

      Thank you for making me feel seen, too. One of the reasons I wrote this blog was in hopes that someone else would read it and realize they aren’t alone. Your comment reminds me why these conversations matter.

      Please never let anyone convince you that your worth is tied to your appearance. You are worthy of being seen, heard, loved, and accepted exactly as you are. I’m grateful our paths crossed, and I’m sending all that love, positivity, and encouragement right back to you. ❤️

      Delete
    2. The above comment was from me…not sure why it posted anonymously!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I’m Back with Purpose!

My Dreams

Making Changes