Making Changes

     I believe that part of healing is making changes in your life. They do not have to be huge or dramatic. Sometimes the smallest shifts create the biggest difference.

    For example, summer has always been difficult for me. Every year, I make schedules and plans before summer begins, but I often struggle to follow through. I end up spending days feeling stuck, overwhelmed, and disappointed in myself for not getting the things done that I wanted or needed to do. Eventually, that frustration turns inward.

    But this year, I decided that summer would be a season of healing and growth.

    Because of that, I took a long, honest look at my routines. For years, I was someone who woke up, prayed, did devotions, and then slowly got ready for the day. But I realized something important: that rhythm was no longer serving me.

    So I made one small change.

    Now, as soon as I wake up, I get ready for the day first. Even if I have nowhere to go, I still wash my face, get dressed, do my hair, and put on makeup. It may sound simple, but that one small shift has completely changed the way my summer feels so far.

    Instead of drifting through the day, I feel awake and prepared for it.

    I have more energy. I have been writing my book again, working on this blog, and finally tackling little projects around the house that I kept putting off. The change itself was small, but the effect has been surprisingly meaningful.

    This morning, one of our dogs, Dewey, had a vet appointment. Normally, I would have rushed around trying to get ready at the last minute and barely made it on time. But this morning, we arrived early, and I actually felt confident in myself and in how I looked.

    And it made me wonder:

    If one small change can make such a meaningful difference, what other changes could bring more life into my days?

    The answer that came to me was simple: I need more playfulness.

    After years of heaviness and survival mode, I think I deserve that.

    So lately, I have been thinking about ways to invite more playful, heart-centered joy into my life — ways that fit my love of cozy living, whimsy, symbolism, and softness.

    First, I want to create tiny themed “micro-celebrations.” I already love meaningful traditions and sentimental moments, so I want to lean further into that playful energy. Maybe that looks like a “Purple Tuesday” with lavender coffee and purple socks. Maybe it is giving our pets ridiculous royal titles for a “royal court” day. Maybe it is a moonlit backyard picnic or an evening inspired by another era — candles lit, old music playing, vintage snacks on the table.

    Playfulness does not always have to be loud or energetic. Sometimes it looks like imagination. Sometimes it looks like delight for no reason at all.

    Second, I want to bring silliness into ordinary routines. I can turn boring tasks into little games or cozy adventures. I can race the clock to see how much I can clean before one song ends. I can dramatically narrate my fur babies’ thoughts while I do chores. I can wear themed outfits just because they make errands more fun. I can invent seasonal café specials for my iced coffees and give them elaborate names.

    As adults, we often treat playfulness as something that must be earned. But I am beginning to think that weaving joy into ordinary life is what actually makes life feel lighter.

    Finally, I want to reconnect with childlike curiosity.

    I want to draw with sidewalk chalk, build tiny fairy gardens, journal without pressure, and take spontaneous drives to quirky roadside attractions. I want to watch clouds, catch fireflies, stargaze, and read dramatically out loud just because it is fun.

    Most importantly, I want to allow myself to enjoy things without needing them to be productive, impressive, or efficient.

    I thrive on warmth and symbolism, so my version of playfulness may look more like wonder than chaos. Cozy rituals. Tiny traditions. Storytelling. Magic tucked into ordinary moments.

    And maybe healing is not always about becoming a completely different person.

    Maybe sometimes it is simply about becoming softer, freer, and more alive again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m Back with Purpose!

My Dreams