My Body Knows What It Needs
There's an affirmation I keep coming back to: "My body knows what it needs."
At first, it felt like something I had to learn to believe rather than something I naturally trusted. So many of us are taught to override our bodies...to push through tiredness, ignore hunger until it's convenient, dismiss rest as laziness, or silence discomfort because "there's too much to do."
But the more I sit with this affirmation, the more I realize it isn't about control. It's about listening.
My body has always been speaking. Through fatigue that shows up when I've been carrying too much for too long. Through tension that lingers when I've been holding emotions instead of feeling them. Through the quiet pull toward rest, even when my mind insists I should keep going.
For a long time, I treated those signals like interruptions. Now I'm learning they are information.
Trusting my body hasn't been an overnight shift. It's been a slow unfolding. Unlearning the habit of dismissing it and relearning how to respond with care.
Some days, that trust looks like drinking water before coffee. Some days it looks like canceling something I thought I could push through. Some days it looks like sitting in silence long enough to notice what I'm actually feeling instead of what I think I should be feeling.
And sometimes it simply looks like resting without needing a reason.
My body doesn't just ask for physical needs. It speaks in emotional ones, too. It tightens when I'm overwhelmed. It softens when I feel safe. It aches when I've been holding too much alone.
When I slow down enough to notice, I realize it's not betraying me or working against me. It's trying to guide me back to balance.
That doesn't mean every signal is comfortable. But it does mean every signal is worth listening to.
Saying "My body knows that it needs" is a practice in returning home. Not to perfection, but to presence.
It's an invitation to stop arguing with myself and start partnering with myself. To stop treating my body like something to manage and start treating it like something to listen to.
I don't always get it right. I still override it sometimes. I still forget. But I'm learning that awareness itself is part of the healing.
If you're learning this too, you don't have to get it perfect. You don't have to suddenly trust every signal without question.
Just start noticing.
What is your body saying right now? What happens if you believe it just a little?
Because maybe the truth is simpler than we make it:
Your body has never stopped knowing. It's just waiting for you to listen.
Comments
Post a Comment