Before & After Bloom

I recently had a dear friend turn 40. The big 4-0.

Among my circle of friends, this seems to be the current "dreaded number." We thought turning 30 was hard, but 40? Yikes. Where did the time go?

We used to be the young, wild people who stayed out until all hours of the night and somehow functioned perfectly the next day. These days, many of us need a full recovery plan after a late evening.

As my friend and I talked about aging and how it sometimes makes us feel older...not old, just older...we both came to an unexpected conclusion:

For the first time in our lives, we are blooming.

That realization filled me with an incredible sense of joy.

Over the past few years, I've worked hard to become healthier in every way possible. Physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually, I've been learning what it means to truly care for myself. For the first time, I feel like all of that work is beginning to bear fruit.

One of the first things I had to learn was what was exhausting me.

Before I bloomed, I wasn't weak.

I was tired.

Tired from carrying too much, giving too much, grieving too much, and forgetting that I deserved the same care I offered everyone else. Blooming didn't happen because life suddenly became easy. It happened because I finally started turning some of that gentleness inward.

Healing didn't arrive in one dramatic moment. It came through small, faithful choices made day after day.

What is healing me isn't a miracle cure or a single breakthrough. It's a thousand small acts of love: morning prayers, honest tears, needed rest, moments of joy, the people and animals who stayed, and the decision to keep becoming.

Little by little, I stopped trying to force myself to bloom and started giving myself what flowers need: light, water, time, and grace.

Perhaps the most beautiful part is this:

I didn't begin healing because I became someone different.

I began healing because I started caring for myself as tenderly as I've always cared for everyone else.

Along the way, I discovered that boundaries were essential to my growth.

The boundaries that helped me most weren't walls designed to shut people out. They were more like a garden fence; something that protected new growth while it took root.

The boundaries that saved me weren't about becoming harder. They were about becoming gentler with myself. They were the quiet decisions to rest before I broke, to protect my peace, to stop carrying what wasn't mine, and to believe that my needs mattered too.

Every boundary I set became an act of self-respect.

Every boundary quietly said, "I want to keep blooming."

Sometimes the boundary that changes everything is simply this:

I will no longer abandon myself to keep everyone else comfortable.

When I look back on my journey, I don't think my softness ever disappeared completely. I think it was buried beneath responsibility, grief, exhaustion, and survival.

As I've healed, that softness has found its way back to the surface.

Wonder returned.

Joy returned.

Creativity returned.

The ability to laugh without feeling guilty returned.

The ability to rest without earning it returned.

I stopped seeing softness as weakness and started recognizing it as a sign that I finally felt safe.

The most surprising part wasn't that I became stronger.

It was then that I became softer and discovered that softness had been strength all along.

Now that I'm blooming, I protect the things that helped me grow. I protect my peace. I protect my joy. I protect my healing. I protect the quiet rituals that remind me who I am.

I protect my softness. Not by hiding it, but by honoring it.

I used to think protection meant building walls.

Now I think it means tending the garden.

Watering what grows.

Pulling what harms.

Trusting that what blooms deserves to be cared for.

And maybe that's one of the gifts of getting older.

Not that we stop growing, but that we finally learn how.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m Back with Purpose!

My Dreams

Making Changes